Monthly and Annual home maintenance can help you save time and money in the long run.
If you’re a beginner at this, here are a few tips to add to your monthly calendar to prevent any damage to your home:
– Clean the drains for the dishwasher. Food particles often wash down drains and cause clogs if not cleaned. Taking a few minutes to clean the drain each month will prevent a dishwasher breakdown.
– Check the garbage disposal. Flush the garbage disposal with water and baking soda to prevent odor and accumulation of grime.
– Change the filters for your air conditioner and heating systems. Air filters should be changed regularly, generally every one to three months depending on the manufacturer’s guidelines, to help reduce stress placed on the air system and to improve air quality at home.
Here are your annual maintenance DOs:
– Inspecting your washer and dryer. Check hoses for leaks and clean the lint from your dryer duckwork to prevent potential breakdown or fire hazard.
– Check windows and doors for leaks. Tighten damaged frames and any loose hardware, and be sure weatherstripping and caulking creates a tight seal around openings.
– Schedule professional tune-ups. Be sure to have your heating and cooling systems professionally serviced before each season to help extend the life of your unit and reduce energy costs.
If you want more ideas on what to add to your schedule: visit Homestructions.com, a popular magazine sponsored by American Home Shield. This magazine provides homeowners offers, fresh ideas, and do-it-yourself solutions for common household dilemmas.