***According to the National Fire Protection Association, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 46,500 reported home structure fires involving electrical failure or malfunction in 2010. These fires resulted in 420 civilian deaths, 1,520 civilian injuries and $1.5 billion in direct property damage.***
The Irving Fire Department asks that everyone please keep these ELECTRICAL safety tips in mind:
- Replace or repair damaged or loose electrical cords.
- Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
- In homes with small children, make sure your home has tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles.
- Use extension cords for temporary wiring only.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- Place lamps on level surfaces, away from things that can burn and use bulbs that match the lamp’s recommended wattage.
To view this or previous IFD Safety Topics go to: www.cityofirving.org/fire/fire-safety.asp