El Centro College and the University of North Texas at Dallas (UNT Dallas) are partnering to create the Emerging Teacher Academy, an innovative pathway focused on training the next generation of teachers. El Centro College will host a formal agreement signing and prospective student information session in the Student Center on its downtown campus on August 8 at 11 a.m.
The El Centro College/UNT Dallas Emerging Teacher Academy will offer several student-centered approaches that make this partnership unique:
• Students will be concurrently enrolled at El Centro College and UNT Dallas.
• Students will learn from both El Centro College and UNT Dallas’ professors during the same semester.
• Students will qualify for a free DART pass—making it easy to take the DART Blue line from El Centro College to UNT Dallas.
• Students will be eligible for El Centro College/ UNT Dallas Emerging Teacher Academy merit-based scholarships.
• Students will be assigned to an advisor to ensure they have a smooth transition into the program.
• Students will be assigned to a career counselor for job placement after graduation.
“Our School of Education is a unique entity that is addressing a serious teacher shortage in our region – especially for bilingual teachers,” UNT Dallas President Bob Mong said. “As a university, we and El Centro College have an extraordinary opportunity to make a difference in the 21st century.”
“The Emerging Teacher Academy is an investment in young people locally and their future,” said Elizabeth Fritze Cheek, Executive Director of UNT Dallas’ Emerging Teacher Institute. “This partnership gives high school graduates a clear path to a bachelor’s degree, a teacher preparation model designed around mind-heart-and-practice, and a guarantee of readiness to assume many of the empty bilingual and ESL teaching positions in area school districts. With the Emerging Teacher Academy, everybody wins.”
For more information, please contact William Smith, El Centro’s Associate Instructional Dean, Academic Transfer, at 214-860-2497 or email@example.com, or Paul Corliss, UNT Dallas Chief Communications Officer, at 972-338-1097 or Paul.Corliss@untdallas.edu or visit el centro college/emerging-teacher-academy